Sunday, May 4, 2008

My Birthday

This last month I celebrated my 30th birhday. I wanted to do something big since I was away from my family and most of my close friends. It turned out to be not such a big deal. I have this way of making bogger deals out of things in hopes that every one else will too, but then I get let down. Thats why i try to make a big deal out of other peoples birthdays, so they feel special on their day. But I suppose not everyone wants that- some people like a quiet birthday, and some like a huge fuss- I just like people to know hey it's my special day and it's okay to give me a litle extra attention on this day.

Anyway,Shanes birthday is a few days before mine, and we have several other friends who celebrate birthdays very close to mine. So I thought why not throw a birthday party and celebrate every ones birthday. So Shane and I invited people and so did our friend Molly. The party pretty much was Molly's party because alomst everyone was there for her. I think I had 3 friends show and Shane had 3 friends show. I suppose a party of 7 could have been lame so hank God Molly knows a lot of people who like to celebrate with her. Of course Molly is from CO so all of her family is from here and she has a lot of friends she has known forever from here. I enjoyed spenidng time with the friends that did come, but I was a little disappointed, oh well. Of course I also thought maybe my mom would surprise me since I had a three-day weekend, but no surprises.

What really made my birthday was a hike, a day off, and my classroom being decorated- oh and a huge cake. The day before my birthday I went hiking with a friend. We took the dogs and went up into the mountains. It was absolutely gorgeous. there was still snow on the ground but I had shorts and a tank top on. Most of the hiking we did was not on snow, but at times there was snow for a good amount of time. Thank God Eric brought his hiking poles. I had Chloe's leash in one hand, a hiking pole in the other hand, and I was trying to hard not to slip on the snow. Other times it wasn't a matter of slipping but trying not to break the snow. My foot would go straight through the snow and scratch up my legs- it was cold and it hurt. Both Eric and I got some pretty scrapes and bruises from our legs going through the snow. It was so beautiful, and so quiet, and something not many people can say they do. I don't ice climb, I dont climb dangerous mountains, I dont snowboard/ski down cliffs, I dont ski-dive or bungee jump, but I do hike in some pretty places. It is funny, at school my students complain how boring CO is and yet the majority of them don't take advantage of the multiple hiking trails and the many outdorr activities that can be done in CO. It was a great hike. We hiked about 10 miles or so that day- 6 hours worth. I was pooped. Eric does this all of the time, so he wasn't sore the next day at all. And he is a great sport for taking his time with a slow poke like me. :) Unfortunately that day my ex some how got a hold of me cell phone number and called me- that made things not so great on my birthday, but what you going to do...

So, I did get my birthday off. We didnt have school that day, so I ended up cleaning and I did have to teach my night classes. But Shane took me out for lunch and some friend sof Shanes came down for a visit and brought us a nice dinner. ANd I got flowers and a balloon from a friend back home- thanks Jennee!

On my birthday I had to teach at the college, but I had left something in my classroom. So when I went in I found it all decorated. Eric and the AP students decorated my class after an AP study session. They went crazy mixing up my overhead markers, writing funny things on my board, putting streamers everywhere. It was cool. They mean well and are a fun group of students. So the day after my birthday I got to celebrate with some of my classes. One of the teachers I work with had his mom make a huge cake for me- chocolate and peanut butter. It was great! So I shared it with some of my classes. Unfortunately I work with a teacher who enjoys taking my excitement from me- that was too bad on his part, but I still made the best ofmy day. I'll post some pics of the classroom. And when I get the hiking pics from Eric I will post those as well. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

So I guess all in all it wasn't a bad birthday, I just worked up in my head that a bunch of people would come to my party and that maybe my mom would surprise me. When it didn't happen I was let down. And of course the incident with my ex and the teacher at work didn't help.

Shane has this friend who constantly likes to make me feel bad because I don't drink when we go out, or if I do it's a huge deal because I am. I just hate being around her because she makes me feel bad about myself- like I amnot good enough for Shane. It was my chance to show her and a few other people I do have friends and I do know how to have a good time with them. But no one showed. So I was a little disappointed, but oh well. I guess I know I have friends and I do know how to have a good time-that is all that matters.

No comments: